Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I AM DONE...(I think?)

Wow it has been a long three months! I usually just get in and get all my canning done, but I have had tons of other projects that have required my time, not to mention two kids and a husband. I dont know how others do it. I thought I loved canning, but man it was tough this time around. I will have to take the advice of my Grandma Jaynes and go sit in my fruit room until I appreciate all the hard work put into our storage, then maybe I will like it again for next year :)! Heres how it went:


The potatoes left over from our garden. I would can them but I am done!

The spoils from the case lot sales.

Canning This year!

The rest of the canning!

More food storage.

Water
Its been a pretty crazy canning season, I canned a few new things and lots of the stuff we already like.

New Items Added to Food Storage This Year:
4 Quarts and 12 Pints of Maple Syrup
16 Quarts Pickles
4 Pints of Pickled Jalapenos
4 Quart of Pickled Vegetable Medley

24-Cans of Chicken Noodle O's
(a great investment that I never thought of, but it sure is a lot easier for Logan to eat the O's instead of the long noodles)

List of What We Have So I Know What To Do Next Year

Canned:
18 Quarts Spaghetti Sauce
4 Quarts 12 Pints Maple Syrup
41 Quarts Grape Juice
56 Quarts Pears
8 Quarts Peaches
24 Quarts Tomatoes
16 Quarts Pickles
4 Pints Salsa
11 Quarts Potatoes
4 Pints Jalapenos
4 Quarts Vegetable Medley
51 Pints Carrots
55 Pints Green Beans

Other:
48 Cans Cream of Chicken
24 Cans Chicken Noodle O's
18 Cans Tomato Soup
3 Cans Butter
48 Cans Mandarin Oranges
Quick Oats
Macaroni Noodles
Spaghetti Noodles
Hard Red Wheat
Hard White Wheat
Sugar
Flour
Brown and Powdered Sugar
Ramen Noodles
Salt
Honey
Water (4 Cases, 1-50 Gallon Drum)

It has been a very long but fruitful canning season. It is good to see the shelves all full and to know that we have food. It is crazy how well our garden did and I think that we will be rethinking how much we plant next year. I know I always like to plant more than we need, because I like to share with those who need it. I just have to write down just how crazy the garden was. I was able to share cucumbers with about everyone. I think I picked over 300 cucumbers and there are about 50 or more in the garden for the cows to eat. I was also able to give carrots away. I canned about 90 pints and gave away 36 pints and kept the rest for us. I still have enough carrots still out in the garden to can about 30 more pints, but like it says I am done, so I will be trying to give them away (or if I cant I will have to can them in quarts :(! ) I was also able to give my grandparents tomatoes and they were able to get 36 quarts of juice from them and I also canned 9 quarts of whole tomatoes for them. They arent in great health but my grandpa love tomatoes, so I thought I would help him out. I might do one more thing. My friend makes really good white chicken chili recipe and I am trying to figure out how to can it, so I might have one more canning project. But all in all, the harvest is in and I am one tired mama. So until next year, I AM FINISHED!!!!

5 comments:

  1. WOW Nic!! You are certainly my "inspiration" when it comes to canning! I was proud of myself for doing pears and peaches :)! I had alot of sucess with my garden too....but I didnt can hardly anything from it, and I am okay with that :)! Great job though...and go take a break! Cute blog header too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you were pretty busy! Canning can definitely be a tough job but it's worth it! Everything but those tomatoes! YUCK! haha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I keep going downstairs and looking at all my jars (no where near as much as you!) I think you are my canning idol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, Niki!! You are amazing. I usually can peaches...then consider myself done for the season. Way to go you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember if I commented on this or not...so here I am again!! =) Looks like you were VERY busy!! Canning is hard work, but it is definitely worth it!! Sounds like you got ALOT done this year which is awesome!! =)

    ReplyDelete