Monday, June 17, 2013

Extra Emotions With Mishagan

Seeing as how this is my third pregnancy I have come to know that being pregnant is a time in life when I feel like I am on an emotional roller-coaster.

FIRST- I have to say that I know that being able to have kids is such a huge blessing and a miracle in and of itself. I am grateful for the two wonderful children that I have and I am grateful that we have another one on the way. Family is definitely the best thing there is in life!

BUT- I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of being pregnant. I don't care for the fact that I get fat because it sure slows me down and I hate when I cant do things that I want to or need to do. I don't care for the fact that hormones are all over the place, and it makes me more emotional than before. Mostly I am not a fan of the fact that at about 5 months, I get low back pain that makes it so that I have a hard time walking most days. 

ALSO- There is nothing more stressful(worrisome) than getting a baby here and once they are here the stress and worry don't seem to go away.  There are so many things that can go wrong with a pregnancy that, they are always on my mind. Really the only things that matters about pregnancy is that after 9 months there is both a healthy baby and a healthy mom. 

I have to say that both my pregnancies with Logan and Ashlee went pretty much the same. I experienced all the feelings above and I really never had much morning sickness. But baby #3 (Mishagan)  has definitely been a whole new experience for me.

First of all I have experienced morning sickness with her. For the first 4 months I believe I threw-up just about every morning and sometimes 2-3 times. Not something that I enjoyed or had experience with my other pregnancies. So I was pretty relieved to get through the first 4 months. Then I finally got to where I wasn't sick anymore, but that was just in time for the awesome back pain to kick in. Nothing worse than not being able to stand up or walk. I am just pretty miserable when I get to this point. But I just have to get over it because this time around I have two other kiddos that I have to take care of. So there is just no time to whine or slow down. I just have to work through it! 

So seeing as how we are off to a great start we might as well keep going. On May 31 I had my appointment to do my glucose test. I had both Logan and Ashlee with me and they both wanted one of those cool looking orange drinks that I had to drink. I would have gladly let them each drink it for me, because I sure didn't want to drink it. That following Monday I got the call that I needed to go back in and do the 3 hour glucose test. So I got a little worried after that phone call and that emotional roller-coaster started up again. So Wednesday night Matthew gave me a blessing to help calm my worries and my emotions as I was going to go in that next morning to do my 3 hour test. The kids were able to go spend the night at the Garners, so I didn't have to drag them around all that next day. I went in the next morning and was able to once again drink that even nastier orange drink. Then I had to get my blood drawn every hour for the next three hours. I was able to get quite a few errands ran in between running back to the hospital to get my blood drawn. After my last time of getting my blood drawn I was able to meet up with my mom (who was working at the hospital) and we had lunch at the hospital cafeteria. I was sure glad to finally get some food and it was great to be able to eat lunch with my mom. I then headed back to the Garners to spend time with them and the kids. I was also awaiting the results of my test.

I got a phone call about noon on Friday (June 7th) that confirmed that I do in fact have gestational diabetes with Mishagan. Then came the extra emotions! I was upset at first, then I got to the point where I was okay, then I would think about it and then I would get upset again and the cycle repeated. I have to say that I was emotional until I met with the doctor at my next appointment (June 13th).

JUNE 13th 
Was going to be a long day! First I had to meet with a diabetic dietitian, to get my diet plan figured out. I usually go to my appointments by myself, but I made Matthew go with me to this one for two reasons. First I was pretty emotional still and I needed his support and second Matthew works as a LPN helping kids that have diabetes, so he was going to know what was going on and I also wanted him to hear what I was told, so that he could help with with my diet and whatever else I was going to need to do. So we made it through that appointment and I was all set with what I needed to do to get through this pregnancy with both a healthy baby and me. I was pretty depressed and broke down in the parking lot. It sure is a good thing Matthew was there with me, because he assured me that we were going to get through this together!!! Did I mention I have a wonderful husband :)!?! Then later that day I had my appointment with Dr Astin. Things are still looking good as far as my size is good, baby's heart beat is good, blood pressure good. So I just have to get my diet figured out so that I can get my blood sugar under control. I will also be having another ultrasound on  July 11, just to see how the baby is doing since I have gestational diabetes. It will be fun to see her again because I didnt really have ultrasounds this late in my pregnancies with Logan or Ashlee.

But until then this is my new little companion:


So emotions and my stresses have been a little higher than normal, but if we can just get Mishagan here safely, then it will all be worth it!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Nick...I feel for ya! Keep your chin up and everything will be okay! Pregnancies are yucky and no fun, but the end result is always so precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diabetes in ANY FORM sucks!! You poor thing! I am so glad you have Matthew there to help you. Getting these sweet babies here is definitely a miracle! Good luck with your blood sugars! I will be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete