Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Historical Sites and Things

So we were close to come cool sites while we were camping and while a few of the guys were fishing Flint took the rest of us to see the sites.



One of the buildings in the Bonanza City Ghost town.



It was cool to read where everyone was from and how they died.

The fences were around all the known graves.

One of a few head stones that actually had a name. There definitely werent as many head stones as people that they had said had died. But it was fun to walk around a look. 



The company that used this it says were able to recover over $1,200,000 in gold over about 6,000,000 cubic yards of gravel. And it was purchased in 1939 and shut down in 1952.


This is a pretty amazing machine. It is amazing how people can even come up with things like this.
There was another ghost town that we drove through called Custer but I didnt get any pictures. We also drove up a mountain part way, so that we could look across at a working mine. It is just amazing how much history is around us that we dont even know about. I always want to go see all these big National Historical Sites, but it is amazing how many different historical sites are around Idaho and even close to home that I have never seen. I guess the lesson for me is that there is history all around me and all I need to do is open my eyes. It was just pretty cool to see.

1 comment:

  1. I got to reminisce while I read this post, my grandparents took my brother and I on camping/road trip through Idaho years ago and we made all these same stops! Actually we were able to go inside the gold dredge and learn about everything and how they ran it and such! It was so interesting! I have been once since then but only looked around outsthe outside. The ghost towns sure are neat though too!! I wonder if the mine you got to see is the same on I went to while in college..I got a tour of the whole thing and got to ride in the HUGE trucks and even watched them set off dynamite to start on a new area of a mountain! FUN! Looks like you guys had lots of fun and got to see some fun sights and make great memories!! =)

    ReplyDelete