Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Name Game

So I get the Parenting magazine at my house for free, or at least they keep saying finally notice, but i keep getting it. I havent subscribe to it so I just open it and read it. This months issue had this interesting little article called The Name Game. It tells some of the baby-naming customs from around the world and I thought that it was interesting. So I thought that I would share it.

Germany
You need government approval before naming a child, and officials can veto monikers that dont clearly indicate the baby's sex (like Riley) or that could possibly subject the child to teasing or harm.

Ukraine
Many leave the naming decision up to their priest. Although parents can suggest ideas, the priest gets the final say at a ceremony eight days after the birth.

Nigeria
Among the Ibo people, baby-naming is a group activity; At a feast, the father, mother and grandmother all take turns suggesting names. Guests contribute too; and afterward, the household debates the options.

Kenya
As newborns, babies are given a name that describes their appearance. They have to wait 40 more days for their "adult" name, which is chosen by their parents.

China
Traditionally, babies have to wait a month until the family hosts a naming ceremony. Instead of using their real name, parents often go with a "milk" name or an undesirable nickname to ward off evil spirits.

India
Parents dont choose a childs name before shes born, since what the stars say about the birth date is a big influence.

In my words:
U.S.A
The parents have every right to chose the babys name for themselves. The only problem being that one or both parents cant agree because one of them knew or knows of someone who has that name or has used that name. And it just cant be used again. So naming a child can definitely be a difficult task and can take until the baby is born or a few days after.

So glad that we are able to make simple choices like baby-naming for ourselves. I just think it would be weird to have someone else name my child or to have to have a big ceremony to decide on one. Glad that I live in a country where we still enjoy simple freedoms.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, but I've had a bit of the Nigerian customs practiced around naming some of my babies! :) Everyone has an opinion, whether you want it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jenny- seems everyone has ideas and opinions. ha ha But then I agree with you as well, its so nice living in a country where it's ultimately our decision as PARENTS! =) And isn't it the best when a decision between each other is so EASY! WA-HOO!!

    ReplyDelete