Monday, August 23, 2010

More Canning

I have to admit that I am not that thrilled to can this year. Not exactly sure why but I think it might have something to do with me being pregnant.Or the fact that the first things that I have canned have taken a lot of time and have pretty much exhausted me. The first being the 82 pints of beans and the second being a new project of canning potatoes. I ended up canning 35 quarts of potatoes which is quite a long process, and it sure better have been worth it or I wont repeat it again next year. But I dug up two rows of our potatoes (one red and one golden), and got 35 quarts, which wasnt too bad seeing as how we still have a row of reds left to enjoy the rest of the growing season. I was however glad that my sister was out here to help me with this long and drawn out process. So we had this huge pile of potatoes to scrape the skins off and then we had to pressure can them at a pressure of 12 for 40 minutes, which I thought that I was going to die through. 40 minutes was such a long time and I thought that 20 minutes with beans was long but it was nothing compared to the potatoes.

I am starting to hate this thing. But it sure is nice to have my
food storage starting to fill back up.


Potatoes: They turned out pretty good I think.


Almost all of the jars for us to enjoy this up coming year.


The 12 Quarts I canned for my mom.
She better appreciate all our hard work,
which I am sure she does. Love ya mom!

So I guess that I had better change my attitude soon, because canning has just started around here. I have tons left to do. Next will be 3 (22lb) boxes of peaches and 5 (22lb) boxes of pears. I am doing one box of each for my mom and for my dad and Cyndi and then the rest for us. Then hopefully we will get some tomatoes soonish so that I can can pizza sauce and tomatoes. Then I have carrots to pressure can (should be my last thing) and then I am going to freeze some of our corn. And hopefully I dont get talked into canning anything else this year, but you never know. So heres to hoping that my attitude changes soon, because it is going to be a long road ahead if I dont :)!

3 comments:

  1. you sure are ambitious girl!! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL!!!! I need to get my butt in gear and get some done!!! I haven't done a thing this year!! I am proud of you ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking potatoes! You'll be glad this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete